Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Fussy Baby = Stressed out Mama

April 9, 2014

Fussy Baby = Stressed out Mama

George can be the sweetest baby in the world, cooing and smiling one minute and the next he is screaming as though someone pinched him. What is making this little guy so upset?  We have tried different formulas (Enfamil Gentlease, Similac Sensitive, Similac Alimentum, and now Similac Soy) to see if perhaps formula was the problem. (side note: he had the same issues with my breast milk, which is why we started on formula) We have mixed formulas because sometimes the straight formula constipates the poor little one and nothing seems to be the cure. We have been to the doctor and they just say it's normal... normal?! Hmm. Okay.

This is wearing heavy on my heart because we have a lot of friends with new babies.. And when I say a lot, I mean A LOT. We had dinner with friends on Saturday night and while they are fighting over who gets to hold their precious baby girl, Adam and I are fighting who has to hold screaming George and try to calm him. It simply makes me sad. We went to a get together with friends the weekend before. Adam arrived after me because he was finishing up renovations at his parent’s house. I thought I was going to have to leave early because of my screaming baby boy. When we arrived, he gave everyone smiles, and within 10 minutes, he was screaming uncontrollably.  I dread social events because I'm now "that parent" with the screaming child. 

I write this as a confessional. I love my little boy more than anyone can possibly imagine. But I don't look forward to being home at night sometimes because I know it's going to be screaming and trying to console him rather than playing and laughing. It stresses Adam out and he can only handle it for a few minutes, which means I spend most of my time holding George and do not get a lot of "me" time.  And yes, I know that being a parent is self-less... but it's wearing on me.

I'm told this is a phase and will soon go away... and while I do NOT want to wish my time away with George, I wish he wouldn't hurt. That's all I can think about. If he skinned his knee, I would hold him and hug him to try and make him feel better.. and since I can't see his injury, why would I treat him any differently? I just have to have faith that he will get better and we will have joy and laughter in this house. In the meantime, I'm counting my blessings for the few minutes a day I do get of baby smiles :)

No comments:

Post a Comment